Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Look out Martha Stewart



So yesterday, the kids and I went up to Connecticut for the day to visit my Aunt Evie. She doesn't get too many visitors, so apparently she was really excited that we were coming. I think maybe since she doesn't have any grandchildren of her own, she wanted to "borrow" my kids and spoil them like grandchildren. She went so totally overboard to make the kids feel welcome and to make sure they had fun. And let me tell you, Martha would be proud.

She made us a really nice lunch as soon as we got there. Shrimp salad sandwiches for the adults, homemade fried chicken nuggets for the kids (but of course, since my kids eat EVERYTHING, they wanted some shrimp salad too) and a beautiful assortment of fresh fruit, including each of my kids' favorites (cantaloupe, watermelon and strawberries).

Then she set up a sprinkler in her front yard so the kids could cool off (it was REALLY hot and sticky today). And speaking of her yard, I could have sat out there all day - even though it was hotter than hell - just because it is so pretty. She has every imaginable color of flowers out there, and her garden is filled with all kinds of handmade projects. Aunt Evie is really into crafts - late at night after Uncle John has gone to bed, she sits at her kitchen table and gets creative. She goes through phases of different types of projects. Right now she is into mosaic flowerpots and handpainted birdhouses. I tell you, she really should sell some of her work - she would make a fortune. She doesn't want to though - she says that would take the fun out of it. So she just gives some of her creations as gifts, and displays the rest of them around her home. Gives the place such a charming, homey feel. No wonder my Mom and Dad love to spend their vacations there.


So back to our nice afternoon - Aunt Evie must have bought out the craft store to find things to keep the kids occupied. She gave the kids some little wooden birdhouses, treasure boxes and a couple of other things to decorate, and set them up at her kitchen table with acrylic paints, glitter, beads, glue, etc. This kept them busy for most of the afternoon, and we had a chance to chat while they were working. (I love chatting with her - she has the craziest sense of humor)

I swear she must have been preparing for our visit for days. She went crazy with homebaked goodies (chocolate chip cookies, banana bread, and some crazy cupcakes for the kids with gummy worms on them), made us a nice dinner, and wouldn't let me help with anything.

Right after dinner, I went to check on the kids, who were settled comfortably in the bedroom watching TV. Ryan said to me "This is a really nice Bed-and-Breakfast." I laughed and told him that he should really tell Aunt Evie that - she would take it as the ultimate compliment. So he went right out to the kitchen and gave her one of his famous squishy "Ryan hugs", and told her that she should open up a bed and breakfast at her house. She has been told that before, because she is that kind of a thoughtful hostess and because her house is so charming - but I could tell that it really meant a lot to her coming from an 11-year-old kid.

I think I really need to do a scrapbook page or two about Aunt Evie. She's a very special person.


2 comments:

Leslie said...

I can see why you'd want to sit out in her yard despite the heat...that's a gorgeous garden she has. ~lesfitz

Georgina said...

wow what a beautiful garden